Dyson & Sons pocket watch, 1897. Hallmarked Manchester 1897 + silver albert chain 1919.
John Dyson 1845 – 1916 was the second son of Robert Dyson, he founded John Dyson and Sons in 1865. The business was originally in The Calls but shortly moved premises and purchased 24 Briggate, followed in time by numbers 25 and 26. His two eldest sons, John & Charles were to join their father. Charles was the family horologist. Charles’ sons, Harry and Kenneth, subsequently entered the business. Harry Dyson, 1899 – 1983, was an expert gemologist who insisted on retaining only the very best. Harry’s daughter Grace, born in 1928 and Kenneth’s son George, born in 1930, followed their respective fathers into the business. Miss Grace, as she was known, managed the shop until it closed. The name -John Dysons- was bought by Berens & Co who commenced trading in their new premises on Commercial Street in March 1996.